Thursday, November 5, 2009

Paris Resident Disappointment With City Officials Actions

This is the letter published in the "Bourbon County Citizen on August 19th "
Dear Editor,
I want to share my experience with "city officials" when I attended several of the Tuesday evening commissioners meetings.
On June 9th I took what I thought was a simple request. That they enforce the City’s Weed and Grass Ordinance on 6 developed lots for sale on Cross Creek Drive near my residence. I even took pictures and a plat drawing showing the specific lots. The lots were over grown with weeds and grass 3 to 5 ft tall. The 3 fire hydrants nearest my residence were so covered with weeds you couldn’t even see them! At first they seemed concerned and promised to look into the matter and get back with me.
On June 17th issue of the Bourbon County Citizen there was an article in the newspaper about my request to the city officials. The lot owner was very quick in sending a letter to my residence about "HOW VERY HARD SHE TRIED TO KEEP THE WEEDS DOWN"
At June 23rd meeting I was told certified letters were mailed just that day to the owners of the lots too clean them up. The mayor even spent some time with me after one of the meetings talking about this problem more in depth. On June27th the city manager even came to my house to discuss the issue.
You could image my delight at that point! Thinking how concerned they were with my request about a simple weed problem. The city, about 5 weeks after my original request did send a crew one day to weed eat and mow around the road curbing and fire hydrants. The city workers did a good job. The property owner did a pretty sloppy job about this same time. They bush-hogged the lots down to about a 1 ½ foot height.
At the meeting on July 28th I thanked city officials for there help so far, but reminded them that because it had taken so long, weeds and grass still grow fast and the lots were ready for a mowing again.
NOW FOR THE REST OF THE STORY.
I attended the August 11th meeting. They city officials did a 180 degree turn about on me. I was told nothing else could be done. I was also told that in these hard economic times, it would put a hardship on the lot owners to expect them to comply with a city ordinance!
When I expressed my disagreement with their answer, I was told that my comments were close to being "OUT OF ORDER" so I didn’t say anymore. The weeds are back, you can barely see the tops of the fire hydrants again.
But take heart my fellow citizens, You don’t have to worry about hard economic times much longer, these same city officials are working hard and fast on another city ordinance for us. SUNDAY ALCOHOL SALE ORDINANCE ! Just say no thanks my fellow citizens at their next meeting.
Sincerely,
John G. Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Feel Free To Make Your Own Comments. I encourage everyone that visits this blog to leave a comment agree or disagree. Tell me topics or concerns you want me to write about.
or you can email me jgmparis@gmail.com