Friday, January 15, 2010

01/12/10 Commissioners Meeting

Let me start out by saying thanks for returning to my blog. I know it has been awhile since my last post. Just had a lot of other things going on and couldn’t find the extra time I guess. Anyway I did attend the last commissioners meeting.

The Police Cruiser home fleet was again a hot topic of discussion between city officials. Acting Police Chief Elkins presented to city officials for their approval a two page home policy requirement list. Each officer would be required to sign it before taking a cruiser home.  One item of concerned from the commissioner was taking cruisers outside the city limits. It was stated that Georgetown allow officers to take cruisers home only if they live within the city limits, not in the county or beyond. Our city officials sounded a little divided during there discussions on this matter. It was decided the home fleet policy would undergo several changes and be decided upon at the next meeting.

Another item was to approve a project of extending the sidewalks. The new sidewalks would be from corner of Lexington road at the school, out Bethlehem Road to at least Castle Blvd-Bourbon Central School area. After some discussions why this area was chosen instead of other areas, all city officials voted yes to go ahead with the needed design work. The money will come from a grant of about 245,000.00 dollars.

Another item on the agenda was to authorize a letter to be sent and apply for a state money grant. The money would be used for renovating the old train depot on 10th street. The property then would be leased and turned into a Horse Museum Center. Approval was given by all city officials to send the letter.

Other items that City Mgr Nagy talked about was “the need to create a employee hand book/HR manual because the city does not have one”.

Another item stated by Mr Nagy “to create a city ordinance per statutes in Kentucky that has salary steps for various types of skilled positions. Then plug in those skilled positions with various steps of salaries. We do not have a document like that and it has just been slipping though the cracks. It is something I want to fix in conjunction with the HR manual.”
This one struck me as kinda funny. Because in my letter to the city about their website back in September of last year, one of the items I ask them to post was- All Salary Classifications of City Employees-with min/max salary range of each class.

Another item Mr Nagy discussed was the tall grass/weed ordinance. He stated “they were re-assigning money for code enforcement this year and they would be pro-active with code enforcement.” I don’t understand the need for more money, but I sure do agree they just need to do their JOB and enforce the ordinance like I ask them to do all spring/summer last year!

One good thing Mr. Nagy stated was “the budget was improving and all departments were working together and doing more with less.”

I told you in my last post about Mayor Thornton gave assistant city manager a deadline of Jan 8th to give me answers to all my questions of the past several months that city officials have just ignored. I did finally receive the letter in my mail on Jan 7th. I’ll discuss it’s contents at a later date.

Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. you talk about the police home fleet. what i never see is them in my neighbor. all you see is a bunch of cruisers,fire trucks, ambulance sitting around places to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are not alone in your observation. I too have seen the same thing. It sure makes you wonder why this happens?

    ReplyDelete

Please Feel Free To Make Your Own Comments. I encourage everyone that visits this blog to leave a comment agree or disagree. Tell me topics or concerns you want me to write about.
or you can email me jgmparis@gmail.com